Two Little Girls
Tajikistan is a source and, to a lesser extent, destination country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labour, and a source country for women and children subjected to sex trafficking. Extensive economic migration exposes Tajik men, women, and children to exploitation.
Tajik men and women are subjected to forced labour in agriculture and construction in Russia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and, to a lesser extent, Afghanistan and Central Asia. Women and children from Tajikistan are subjected to forced prostitution primarily in the UAE and Russia, and also in Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan, Afghanistan, and within Tajikistan.
Reports indicate an increase in kidnappings and transport of Tajik women and girls to Afghanistan for the purpose of forced marriage, which can lead to forced prostitution and debt bondage. Women are increasingly vulnerable to trafficking within the country and abroad if they informally divorce from their absent migrant husbands and then need to provide for their families. Women engaged in prostitution in Tajikistan are vulnerable to exploitation by traffickers.There are reports from previous years of Tajik children subjected to sex trafficking and forced labour, including forced begging, within Tajikistan and in Afghanistan. Some Tajik children and some adults are subjected to agricultural forced labour in Tajikistan, mainly during the autumn cotton harvests. Afghan and Bangladeshi citizens are vulnerable to forced labour in Tajikistan.
Tajikistan is rated as a Tier 2 Country by the US Department of State’s 2014 Trafficking in Persons Report indicating that the Government of Tajikistan does not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking; however, it is making significant efforts to do so.
‘An increase in kidnappings and transport of Tajik women and girls to Afghanistan for the purpose of forced marriage, can lead to forced prostitution and debt bondage.’
Civil Society Support Centre “Shahrvand”
Kulob Civil Society Support Centre “Shahrvand” was founded in September 2000, has registered in Ministry of Justice RT on the 26th of November 2001 under the number 822 and reregistered on the 18th of December 2007 under number 418.
The Centre is effectively functioning as a service-provider organization, providing the communities, local NGO’s and Initiative groups with free qualitative consultative technical informative and organizational support.
As part of the program, which is engaged in the region CSSC “Shahrvand” for 12 years conducted more than 800 training sessions on various topics, training covers more than 12 000 people. Educational programs contributed to the creation of more than 100 NGOs and 70 community-based organizations, most of which, having received the support of donor organizations, have become resistant civil society institutions.
Our mission: Implementation of socio-economic activities, including projects that reduce poverty and increase the mobilization of active population to address priority concerns.
KEY CAMPAIGN ACHIEVEMENTS
- 5 presentations and trainings were held in 5 different districts with approximately 200 participants at each one. Participants were mixed ages from ages 15-60 but mostly students and young people with a split of 60% female and 40% male. Based on 75% of 1000 participants being students there were 450 girls and 300 boys. The remaining 25% being 150 females and 100 males.
- Between January and May 2014, another partner who used the film initially before Civil Society Support Centre led the campaign, was the Tajiki Red Crescent Society. They ran TLG workshops with 2778 migrants and their families (1806 men and 972 women), aged between 16 and 45 years old. Assumed to be 20% 16-18 year olds, 30% 19-25 year olds and 50% 26-45 year olds which equates to 361 men and 194 women aged 16-18 years old, 542 men and 292 women aged 19-25 years old, and 903 men and 486 women aged 26-45 years old.
The Two Little Girls campaign in Tajikistan will run until mid 2015. We will post updates and information about the campaign as it progresses. For further information about the campaign please email email@example.com